These easy chicken and fennel hand pies are great for the lunchbox, dinner or kept in the freezer for last-minute emergencies!
The ingredient of Chicken and fennel pies
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-reduced chicken stock powder
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 large cooked chicken breast fillet, shredded
- 1 tablespoon light sour cream
- 20g baby rocket
- 2 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry, partially thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 60g mixed salad leaves
- 1/3 cup tomato chutney, to serve
The instruction how to make Chicken and fennel pies
- Preheat oven to 220C/200C fan-forced. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and fennel. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and rosemary. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add stock powder and boiling water. Bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile, combine cornflour with 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl. Add to stock mixture in pan. Return to the boil. Cook until mixture thickens. Stir in chicken. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream, then rocket (see notes).
- Cut each pastry sheet into 4 squares. Spoon 2 tablespoons mixture onto one half of each square. Fold over pastry to enclose filling. Using a fork, press edges together to seal. Transfer to prepared trays. Brush with egg. Sprinkle with seeds (see notes). Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and heated through. Serve warm or cold with salad leaves and tomato chutney.
Nutritions of Chicken and fennel piesfatContent: 646.734 calories
saturatedFatContent: 32.5 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 12.6 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 59.6 grams carbohydrates
cholesterolContent: 27.7 grams protein
sodiumContent: 134 milligrams cholesterol